Thursday, January 3, 2013

Treachery Under Charleston Harbor



By the title we enter expecting to read about the first submarine to sink a ship in wartime.  However, the reader is quickly following multiple subplots that give one to wonder how, or if, they are connected—they are.  The historical facts presented stretched my knowledge of the Hunley and I began to have doubts until I did more research and found that by and large, except as disclaimed, Mr. Kerr is pretty well on target.  So, I've learned some fascinating history and that's always a good thing.

The Hunley: The Civil War's Secret Weapon is a very well executed piece of historical fiction with extraordinary character development.  The period settings are generally first rate and the depiction of human drama during a catastrophic time is done remarkably well.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it for all fans of history.  In my personal opinion, it's a bit overpriced at $5.99, but then again, I'm a crusader for the $2.99 e-book.

If you enjoyed The Hunley, you will surely also enjoy Convergence of Valor by Guntis Goncarovs which deals with the same topic from a slightly different point of view.

As is my habit to be supportive of self published authors, I compiled a small list of typos which I will share if I can contact the writer.  I cannot find an email address for Larry.  If anyone can help me get in touch with him, I'd appreciate it.


Buy at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment